Popular Posts

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Capacitor Bulge

Well, I had the cover off the STR-GX9ES today, and it looks like three of the four Nippon Chemicon caps are bad.  They all have bulges to a varying degree, and may have had something to do with the fuse blowing.  By the way, don't bother looking for vintage fuses at Radio Shack, they don't have them.  The board looks easy to remove, but I just don't know enough about discharging the caps to be confident that I won't zap myself.  So, I am mulling over what to do, as my guess is it's a $200 fix- maybe more, if there are other problems I am unaware of.  The Sony gear of that era really strikes my fancy.  A lot of more expensive gear has come and gone but I keep coming back to that stuff.  To see some beautiful pictures of a fantastic vintage collection click on Mastercontolmedia's link, you will not regret it.  The site is owned not only by a Sony fan who takes fantastic pictures, but he also makes his own tube amps.  Did I get taught how to do ANYTHING in High School?  I'm even typing this with a combination of two fingers.  I got taught how to apply for college, apparently, for what THAT was worth.  Oh, and I had to read: "Deliverance."  Great.  This is starting to sound bitter.  It's a good thing I don't have one of those Facedbook account thingies (is that the right name?)  I might encounter an old classmate who would remind me of all of the other things I have forgotten. . .  Anyway, more dead GX9ES pics if you follow the Flickr link, in much larger sizes.  Oh, and one other thing- I noticed that occasionally there is an ad for Aperion speakers in the sidebar.  They have a pretty cool website, and I am thinking about ordering a pair of 4Bs to compare with the Atoms.  We shall see. 

No comments:

Post a Comment