Popular Posts

Friday, March 19, 2010

Cantilever

One of my goals this afternoon was to take a clear picture of the Tara Labs cones I have supporting the Sony 444ES integrated amp.  The felines of course took over the whole session.  I had originally bought the cones to replace the feet on the Rega P1 as you can hear the vibrations from the platter rotation pretty clearly with the volume down, but then I used them under an NAD C350 that had a little transformer hum.  They really helped with the NAD.  Right now they are under the 444 even though that amp is DEAD silent and doesn't need them ( a whole post about that amp soon, I promise- suffice to say that they go for under $100 on eBay and if you see one BUY IT), but they look kind of cool with the right side hanging out over nothing- the transformer is so heavy that all is held in balance despite the odd positioning of the three cones.  Other than the effect on mechanical noise, I wouldn't waste time looking for any other impact on the sound of the system because of the cones.  There are too many other factors that have a much larger impact on overall sound (such as my unresolved speaker positioning) to worry about.  That being said, they do have a pretty clear positive effect on the little buzzes and hums that electronics sometimes make.

No comments:

Post a Comment