Popular Posts

Sunday, December 4, 2016

Cerwin Vega AT-10 repair

I've been super busy working with the editor on the sequel to Chermpf and have not had too much time to play with stereo.  I hope everyone in the US had a very nice Thanksgiving.  Over the holiday weekend, my wife was at her sister's house and it turns out that they got new furniture and no longer had room for these:


A pair of Cerwin Vega AT-10 of unknown origin.  Interestingly, I had a pair of Cerwin Vega AT-8 while in college.  They were given to me as a gift from a super nice amazing awesome person who shall remain anonymous, and I am pretty sure that they were purchased at the now defunct electronics store known as Silo in Western New York.  The AT-8s were great speakers, they played crazy loud on 25 or 30 watts of power and they were nigh on indestructible.  I wouldn't call them the last word in transparency, but they were great for Led Zeppelin.  This particular pair of AT-10 have suffered from foam surround rot due to the ravages of time, but other than that are in pretty nice shape.  A couple of dings and the mesh on the midranges is dented but that's what it's there for- to protect the cones.  So I decided to order a repair kit from Simply Speakers on Ebay.  under $25 and super fast shipping.


You can see that the kit came with two nice replacement surrounds in the Cerwin Vega hot pink that we all know and love.  Next, I set about removing and cleaning up the woofers by purging them of all the rotted foam and old glue.  The only hitch was that the negative speaker lead required some wrangling to remove.



It's messy work and labor intensive.  It took about two hours to clean up one woofer.  Junior was kind enough to help:


I finished the first one this afternoon.  It was challenging to get the speaker aligned properly so that there was no rubbing in the back of the cone near the voice coil, and I'm still not sure i got it right.  The folks at Simply Speakers recommend doing the adjustment by hand, but I could not get a good grip on the dome at the center of the cone, which might have made the job easier.  Nonetheless, I tested repair number one on the NAD/Sony 605ESD this evening and all went well.  I'll tackle the second one sometime during the week,


The question is, what the heck will I do with them once they are fixed?






   



No comments:

Post a Comment